*AA Meetings are held Monday-Friday from 5:15pm-6:15pm (Group name: Happy Hour).
*Perishable food distribution is every Thursday at 10:00am.
-Contact Person: Sara 402.438.5231, x131
*Food Boxes are assembled every Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 1:00-3:00pm.
-Contact Person:Sara 402.438.5231, x131
*Low Income Star Tran bus passes are $8.00.
-Contact: Joe Bad Moccasin Jr.
*Every 3rd Wednesday of every month at the Indian Center Inc. Board of Director's Meeting is held at 6pm
-Contact Person: Barry Walker 402-438-5231, x9
Indian Center, Inc. has administered an employment and training program funded by the US Department of Labor since 1980. The Native American Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act Program (WIOA) has grown into a statewide service delivery area that operates in 89 of 93 counties in Nebraska. The excluded counties of Thurston, Richardson, Burt, and Knox are under tribal jurisdictions.
The purpose of WIOA is to assist and prepare unemployed and underemployed Native Americans for the competitive job market, in consistence with the overall Indian Center mission to promote self-sufficiency. The WIA Section 166 program is to support employment and training activities for Indian, Alaskan Native, and Native Hawaiian individuals in order to: 1) develop more fully the academic, occupational, and literacy skills of such individuals; 2) make such individuals more competitive in the workforce; 3) promote the economic and social development of Indian, Alaskan Native, and Native Hawaiian communities in accordance with the goals and values of such communities. The WIA program aims at supporting comprehensive employment assistance, guidance, and culturally-appropriate support to Native Americans in the state of Nebraska.
1. Must be over the age of 18
2. Must live within the state of Nebraska and not in the following counties: Thurston, Richardson, Burt and Knox.
3. Must be unemployed or under employed (working less than 40 hours/wk)
4. Must meet low income guidelines
5. Must be Native American, Alaska Native, or Native Hawaiian. Enrolled or immediately eligible for enrollment.
6. Must be enrolled in the selective service if you are male and between the ages of 18-25
1. Proof of Age (must be over the age of 18)
2. Proof of Residence (must reside within the state of Nebraska; excluding Thurston, Burt, and Knox counties)
3. Proof of Tribal Affiliation (must be an enrolled member of a federally/state recognized tribe)
4. Proof of income (applicants must meet low income guidelines)
5. Proof of Selective Service (males only, 18-25 years of age must be registered with the Selective Service)
Each client is given an initial assessment to effectively assist them with their employment and training goals. The career assessments utilized are CASAS (Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems), and COPS (Career Occupational Preference System).
GED Support - Career Development and Advising - Academic Counseling - Job Coaching- Resume Development
Employment Application preparation - Character references - Employment referrals - Computer lab
Required job clothing assistance - Transportation (bus passes) - Work experience (funds permitting)
Case management - Occupational training assistance - WIOA e-newsletter updates - and etc.
Joe Bad Moccasin Jr.WIOA Program Director
Phone: 402-438-5231, 110
Indian Center, Inc. WIA
1100 Military Rd.
Lincoln, NE 68508
WIOA Omaha Site Director
Juanita "Jina" Red Nest
WIOA Scottsbluff Site Director
Please return all information to an area office near you.
Indian Center Inc.
1100 Military Road, Lincoln, NE 68508